Owning solar panels is a significant investment, and solar panel maintenance is necessary to ensure long-term benefits. However, once installed, solar panels require minimal maintenance.
Clean rooftop solar panels
Rainwater can remove some of the grime collected on panels. But it also leads to the accumulation of dirt at the bottom of the panel.
As mentioned above, solar panels do not require much maintenance as they do not have moving parts.That does not mean you do not clean solar panels.
It is crucial to keep them clean for continuous optimal power generation. This article discusses the right ways of cleaning rooftop solar panels.
Tips for cleaning solar panels
- First, check if your solar panel manufacturer has any specific cleaning recommendations.
- It would be best to clean solar panels during the morning or afternoon when the sun is not heavy because solar panels become incredibly hot in the sunshine.
- Unless a lot of dirt and dust has accumulated, a garden hose alone will do the job.
- You do not require much special equipment; all you need is a bucket or spray bottle filled with warm water and soap.
- One can use a soft cloth or sponge to clean the surface of the solar panel. You do not need to clean the wiring underneath.
- Be extra careful if you need to climb up on the roof to clean. If you are clueless about how to clean solar panels safely, consider getting professional solar panel cleaners.
Why solar cleaning is necessary
Often people owning solar panels ask, ‘why do I need to clean my solar panels.’ We will tell you why.
It is known that dust, dirt, pollen, or other debris can have adverse effects on solar panel efficiency. Keeping solar panels clean is an effective way to maximize energy production.
If not cleaned properly, solar panels can lose 15-25% of their efficiency, implying 15-25% less electricity generation.
Therefore, instead of relying on rainwater, one should spend adequate time cleaning solar panels once a year.
In conclusion, cleaning solar panels is almost like cleaning a typical window. Cleaning can boost your system’s performance and help you with ample cash savings on electricity bills.
For more information regarding solar panel maintenance, visit us at Friendly Footprints.