The sun is a natural energy source that has existed for billions of years. Solar energy transforms the sun’s rays into electric energy that can power houses, companies, and even cars.
And as the world becomes increasingly aware of the alarming climate changes and the need to reduce our reliance on fossil fuels, the importance of solar energy in our daily lives is becoming increasingly evident. Therefore, this article discusses the many uses of solar energy and why it is essential.
Why is Solar Energy Important in Our Life?
Solar energy plays a crucial role as a renewable energy source in the shift towards clean energy because the sun generates abundant energy far beyond our current needs. It is vital because no greenhouse gas emissions are released into the atmosphere when you generate power with solar panels.
Also, solar energy does not generate waste or contaminate water, making it a very crucial source of power, given the scarcity of water. Compared to fossil fuels and nuclear power plants, wind power minimizes water consumption, making it a key component in preserving hydrological resources.
How is Solar Energy Useful to Us?
A significant benefit of solar energy is that it is both sustainable and environmentally friendly. Below are some examples of how solar energy is used in our daily life:
Solar energy makes the cooking process simple. All you need is a thermometer, an aluminum foil box, pan duct tape, a cooking bag, and insulation made of Styrofoam to cook in a solar box. Cooking in a solar oven saves you money on your electricity bill compared to using a regular oven.
In case of power outages, batteries used for video games, etc., can be recharged during the day. Also, you can use the reserve battery bank at night and charge it during the day in the sun to save electricity.
Powering Homes and Buildings
Rooftop solar panel installations can produce electricity for both domestic and commercial purposes. The energy produced by solar panels can be used to run appliances, lighting, and heating/cooling systems.
Homeowners or building owners can generate additional income by selling surplus energy from their solar panels to the grid.
Cost-effective and unaffected by poor connections, solar lighting is environmentally friendly. The lack of complicated setups or electrical connectors makes solar lights so appealing.
Solar EV Charging
The popularity of electric vehicles (EVs) is rising. When choosing EVs, creating or locating a sufficient charging station is the major challenge. Solar energy can address the problem sustainably, but conventional energy sources can be expensive and difficult to obtain.
Solar Water Heater
Two types of solar water heaters—active solar hot water systems and passive solar hot water systems—can replace conventional water heaters.
- Active water heater systems:
- Direct circulation system: They have a pump that uses solar collectors to pump water into the house for daily use.
- Indirect circulation: It transfers water that flows into the house using non-freezing liquid. It is frequently used in regions with frigid temperatures.
- Passive water heater systems:
While cheaper than active water heater systems, passive solar water heating systems are less efficient. They come in two different varieties.
- Integral Collector-storage passive water heater systems: It is used in regions where cold temperatures are uncommon. In such a system, the water storage tank houses the solar collector. When the water storage tank is exposed to the sun directly, the water is warmed.
- Thermosyphon passive water heater systems: Thermosyphon passive water heaters are a type of solar water heating system that naturally circulates water throughout the system rather than using pumps or other mechanical parts. The method comprises a storage tank, solar collector, and pipe connections.
Solar energy has many advantages and it can improve your daily life. It is the best solution to tackle increasing climate changes and reduce carbon emissions. Utilizing solar energy to power your transportation, charge batteries, provide heating and lighting and generate electricity, you can lower your monthly expenses, contribute to environmental conservation, and have long-term control over your energy costs.